Freitag, 11. Oktober 2013

Verona - Iupiter lustralis temple

Dear Friends
last weekend I was in Verona (IT) and after a walking here and there, I decided to go not far from the river Adige, where in a public park I know that there are the ruins of the small Roman temple of Iupiter Lustralis. The ruins originally were located near the ancient Roman gate: Porta Borsari: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Porta_Borsari
but were displaced to the park for facilitating the vehicle circulation. The temple was composed by a bigger hall for the prayers, separated from a smaller hall for the priests by two square columns. After the smaller hall in the sancta sanctorum room was located the statue of Iupiter Lustralis. Unfortunately, nothing remains of the original artefacts and decoration. This temple, I suppose, is similar in architectural style and dimensions to the temple on the Saint Peter hill I described you elsewhere in this blog:
http://m-polo.blogspot.de/2013/05/roman-temple-on-san-pietro-hill-verona.html
Please, have alook to the images and in case of interest, please let me know.
Salutations
Giancarlo







Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen