Sonntag, 5. Juni 2016

Always dry - Lotus effect

Dear Friends
industrial waterproofing is a well know property achieved by coating the surface of objects with water repellent chemicals. Therefore, I was a bit surprised in paying attention this time to a bush of Tropaeolum
 or Nasturtium  in my garden that exhibits a natural waterproofing in the form of the so-called Lotus effect . Decided to solve the mistery I took close views of the leaves, which revealed leaf microscopic hair on which the drops were suspended. The drops themselves, as microlenses, disclosed me more details of the microhair suspension (see the images). Any comment from your side is welcomed.
Salutations
Giancarlo

P.S.: I have to thank our Gianni for his help in identifying the bush as a
Gelbgrüner Frauenmantel .











Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen